A dental assistant’s job is among the sought after jobs today, considering the job availability, average pay, and relative career stability that it provides. Dental assistant jobs have been growing each year, but it is still important to acquire the necessary skills and formal dental assistant training in order to obtain a fantastic and steady job in this area. Obtaining a solid occupation during a recession is reason enough to rejoice, regardless of the arena it is in.
A number of reputed dental assistant schools in Michigan offer quality education and training to equip candidates for the job. Armed with a formal qualification, it usually becomes easier to receive employment with a dental office or another dental facility.
Dental Assistant Schools in Michigan (MI)
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Dental Assisting in Michigan
Across the country, the basic dental assistant job description remains unchanged, so the training for this job is fairly uniform. Some of the special skills required at a particular dental office may be learned on the job as well. The state laws differ slightly regarding the tasks that a dental assistant in a particular state may be allowed to perform. Leading Michigan dental assistant schools impart broad-based training that equips candidates to fit into the job description quite easily without much requirement for on-the-job training.
Some of the common tasks that a dental assistant will perform at most places include assisting patients to be comfortable in the dental chair, preparing the work area for the dentist, readying dental tools and instruments, keeping the patient’s mouth dry with a suction hose during a procedure, and handing over X ray images, instruments or other things to the dentist while a dental procedure is in progress.
Some of the reputed Michigan dental assisting schools impart education to students in the area of dental hygiene and nutrition as well. Candidates will authoritative knowledge in this area may be given the task to give instructions to patients on dental hygiene and nutrition. In some cases, the dental assistants may also have to work in the lab with the dentist to fabricate crowns or help with X-ray processing.
Michigan Dental Assistant Training
If you are keen to take up a job as a dental assistant, it is a prudent and wise idea to aim for admission to one of the leading dental assisting schools in Michigan. The candidates may have to clear a state exam in order to receive a dental assistant certification.
Receiving this certification is mandatory in certain states before you are eligible for the job as a dental assistant. In some other states, it is acceptable to complete high school and receive a certain minimum level of on-the-job training. To be eligible for the state exam, the candidates may be required to complete a course from one of the recognized dental assistant schools in Michigan.
Michigan Dental Assistant Salary
The annual median dental assistant salary in May 2010 was $33,470, according to the figures provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Top 10 percent highest-earnings dental assistants receive a pay of $47,090 or higher in that period. Candidates who have received training from one of the recognized dental assistant schools in Michigan can expect to achieve a higher pay for a full-time position.
Also check out: